Saturday, February 7, 2009

Guacamole

My host dad loves salsa, and makes his own every once in a while. It's probably not quite what an American would think of as "Salsa," it's more tomato sauce with veggies in it, but we'd been talking for a while about me making guacamole to go with it. I had never made it before, but obviously understood the main ingredients and the idea.

So today I made guacamole. My first solo foray into the cooking world past a PB&J. It's sitting in the fridge right now, we're waiting for my host bro to come home with the Tostitos, but the whole family is really excited. I'm glad I could introduce them to a little American (or at least foreign) culture besides my poor Japanese accent.

I also recently started training in Aikido, which I've been doing in America for about 2 years but hadn't gotten around to in Japan until now. I've only been to two practices but they've been really awesome, and everyone's been much nicer and more welcoming than I anticipated.

I have Monday through Wednesday off from school this week, so my host family is taking me skiing on Tuesday. I don't remember the name of the mountain, but apparently it's close. So, while I hit the slopes my host mom and host dad are going to sit in the hot springs. Apparently my host mom used to ski a lot (she grew up right around where I went skiing in December) but doesn't any more for fear of injury. She is 60, so I can forgive her for that. Host dad skied a few times, but has long since retired to the hot baths.

Other than that it's been business as usual lately. I'm healthy, and enjoying classes, though they have returned a bit to the boring side, but at least my teachers display some air of professionalism.

Hope you're all doing well! Every day I inch a little closer to getting to see you all again, and I'm looking forward to it.

4 comments:

dvdprkr said...

seroba-san: i saw a poster on a wall here in siberia for an aikido club. only it was written like: клуб айкидо, because they speak russian here.

Elliott said...

yo dude,

i was actually just thinking of trying to make guacamole soon, since i think i saw some avocados in the supermarket. did you just look online for a recipe?

also, hows it going? long time no talk. spain is really cool, but its also really weird to be here by myself and stuff. maybe talk to you soon.

peace,
elliott

RSelover said...

Guac:

Avocados, hot peppers, small amount of onions dash of Mezcal. Mash in mortar/pestle (special guac version called a mocajate).

Serve immediately.

Miss you

Bro

The Messed Up Times said...

How bout them devils.

I say that like I know things about hockey other than them beating the rangers tonight