Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Looking back so far...

I've come to realize that the most interesting experiences I've had in this country... somehow end up involving food. Tonight was no different.

I went downstairs after finishing my homework and chatted with my host family. My second host brother who lives in Hokkaido (the northern-most island in Japan) is here for 2 weeks because he has an art exhibition in Osaka (he's an artist and his stuff is really awesome. Here's his blog where you can see some pictures, although it's in Japanese, so try just clicking random stuff: http://www6.plala.or.jp/seiji_honda2008/)

Anyway, whenever he comes down he brings lots of... interesting snacks. Today my host father issued me a challenge (he even used the English word "challenge" to dare me to do it) and put a small plate of brown liquid with small black things floating in it. I tasted it, and it was absolutely delicious. My host mom and dad then gave me the Japanese word for it, of which I understood a few words here and there and put together that it was some time of squid. I was wrong.

They looked up the word in the dictionary which gave the following description: "fish guts pickled in squid ink." Whoa. With this information in mind I tried another bite. Somehow not quite as appetizing as the first one, and when my host mom asked me some question I can't remember, I gagged a little bit in the middle of my answer, although she didn't seem to notice.

I went for a third go, and, in the end, it was pretty good. The texture is like eating a slug with a thick rubber band inside it, and it stuck in my teeth like a bear in a trap, but, somehow, it was good.

I honestly think that if I had tried this before coming to Japan, though, I most likely would have ejected it from my mouth at high velocity the second it hit my tongue, but I'm just so used to eating weird variations of sea food that I almost feel like no food from this country can phase me anymore.

I told my host family that it was delicious (honestly because there is no word for just "good" in Japanese, it's either delicious or it's so-so or it's horrible) at which they offered me another challenge for the future: Natto. A.K.A. rotten soybeans. Oh boy.

1 comment:

Msyjsm said...

Judging from this blog (http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_steve_dont_eat_it.php), you're in for a great experience with natto: "What I find most hilarious is that there is an expiration date on the package. What could they possibly expect to happen to the product on this date THAT HAS NOT ALREADY OCCURRED?!!!"

Good luck, Greg. Good luck.