Sunday, September 14, 2008

Week Two

Ok, so for everyone who I should have e-mailed/called/talked to personally by now, yeah, I'm sorry. For those of you who have skype, and would like to talk to me sometime, my skype name is gregselover I believe. Since I'm 13 hours ahead of the east coast, though, and don't really know your schedules, if you would like to talk to me on skype, or on the real phone, please send me an e-mail of sometime you might be free! The e-mail address I check most frequently is gselover@middlebury.edu but I also check greg.selover@gmail.com.

Anyway, Japan. Last night my host brother took me to a metal bar and we blared the new Metallica album over the sound system, it was absolutely awesome. Today is a holdiay (respect for the elders day) so my host brother and I spent all morning figuring out how to set up wireless (which we finally did and is how I'm posting this right now). Exactly when all my interesting stories happened is becoming a blur, but a few of them did occur to me that I thought I would share.

So, when my friends and I first got here and were looking for something to do, we decided to see if we could find an arcade. We thought we knew where we were going but headed off rather blindly into the city to find one. We ended up asking a little boy if he knew where a "place where you can play video games" was, only we used the word "television-game," which specifically implies video games that are played on your tv, as opposed to a computer or in an arcade. What it boils down to is we inaddvertantly asked this little kid if we could come to his house and play video games. After about 10 seconds of silence he said, "I have no idea what you're asking me" and left.

I've got more stories, of course, but I thought I would spread them out over the week. So look forward to more later.

Japanese class also finally starts tomorrow (last week was review week) and one of my electives is in Japanese, which I hadn't realized before. I think it's going to be a blast.

3 comments:

BVI Cruiser said...

Hey Greg, I found your blog! I'm so proud of myself. I passed it along to Charlie and Katie. Very interesting times, I look forward to reading more! Charlie is home to film "cooking with Larry" , a cooking show pilot along the lines of the Colbert Report; Katie is studying her butt off at Penn. She came home this weekend to shop for a dress for Rob/casey's wedding! Fun times for the gals. See you on the 4th! Jan

David Hamberlin said...

Must be sick to be living in a country that loves video games as much as you do.

I can totally identify with the getting stared at thing. Egyptians are really friendly, but it frequently turns out to be because they want your money.

Good luck man.

RSelover said...

Haven't heard from you, so Happy Birthday (a day late in USA, probably 2 or 3 by the time you read this).

Bro